- 1.1 This specification covers the requirements for the Aickinstrut Nonmetallic Channel Framing System.
2.0 Mat erial
- 2.1 FRP channel shall be of pultruded glass reinforced polyester or vinyl ester resin having the physical property values listed in this catalog.
- 2.2 PVC channel shall be of extruded polyvinyl chloride having the physical property values listed in this catalog.
- 2.3 Some accessories shall be of injection molded, 40% long glass fiber reinforced polyurethane, polypropylene or nylon.
- 3.1 Glass reinforced channel shall have a synthetic surfacing veil applied on exterior surfaces to improve weatherability and inhibit ultraviolet degradation. An ultraviolet stabilizer shall be incorporated in the resin formulation to further inhibit ultraviolet degradation.
- 3.2 PVC channel shall be manufactured from a U.V. stabilized resin and incorporate dark gray pigment to improve weatherability and inhibit ultraviolet degradation.
4.0 Structural Design
- 4.1 Channel shall incorporate Aickinstrut's patented flange profile design which allows full and positive interlocking contact of channel accessories and prohibits premature flange failure from torqued accessories.
- 4.2 Channel profile dimensions shall be:
- 1-5/8" x 1-5/8" x 1/8",
- 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/8", or
- 1-1/2" x 1-1/8" x /8".
- 4.3 All 1-5/8" x 1-5/8" channel profiles shall have a minimum pull out resistance of 1,000 pounds when load is applied over a 3 /8" long section of the inside flanges.
- 4.4 Channel section lengths shall be supplied in 10' or 20' lengths (±1/8").
- 4.5 Universal Pipe Clamps shall have full interlocking contact with interior channel flanges to maximize pull-out resistance and be adjustable to accommodate a minimum 3/4" variance in piping or conduit O.D. sizes.
5.0 Stan dards
- 5.1 Glass reinforced and PVC channels covered in this specification shall have a flame spread rating of 25 or less when tested per ASTM E84 and meet the requirements of UL 94V0 thereby qualifying them as Class 1 material in the Uniform Building Code.
- 5.2 Glass reinforced channels covered in this specification shall comply with the requirements of ASTM D 3917 and ASTM D 4385 which govern the dimensional tolerance and visual defects of pultruded shapes.
- 6.1 Aickinstrut Nonmetallic Channel Framing shall be furnished as a system which includes all the necessary fasteners, channel splice plates, brackets, sealants, hangers, pipe clamps, etc.
- 6.2 Nonmetallic fasteners shall be manufactured from long glass fiber reinforced polyurethane to ensure maximum strength and corrosion resistance.
- 6.3 All components of the Aickinstrut Channel Framing System shall be nonmetallic except where type 316 stainless steel hardware is used as part of the assembly.
- 6.4 All products are manufactured in the United States of America.